We've noticed you're using an outdated browser. For full compatibility, please ensure you're running a modern browser such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge.

CEng / IEng Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between Chartered Engineer and Incorporated Engineer?

Chartered Engineer (CEng)

Chartered Engineers are characterised by their ability to develop appropriate solutions to engineering problems, using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change.

They may develop and apply new technologies, promote advanced designs and design methods, introduce new and more efficient production techniques, marketing and construction concepts, pioneer new engineering services and management methods

Benefits of becoming CEng include the status of being part of a technological elite, recognition of your expertise and hard work and greater influence within your organisation and industry. You'll also enjoy access to life-long learning and international recognition of your qualifications.

Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) recognises your proven competence, commitment, skills and experience. It is an important milestone in the career of any engineer or technologist and can form an important part of a progressive career path leading to CEng.

Incorporated Engineers are characterised by their ability to maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation

Incorporated engineers are variously engaged in technical and commercial management and possess effective interpersonal skills.

IEng registration shows your employer and peers that you have demonstrated a commitment to professional standards, and to developing and enhancing your competence. As a result, IEng can give you greater influence in your organisation or industry and improved career prospects.

2. How do I obtain more information about professional registration with INCOSE UK?

For more information, please call 01460 298217, or